Monday 1 March 2010

Auditioning

It was a Wednesday morning in Prague. My colleague and friend Brian told me he was attending an audition at lunchtime and he was looking for company. He didn't give me much more information, but since I had a gap in my schedule, I thought I would tag along. I'd never been to an audition before...

We got out of the metro station some minutes later and headed towards a large building, where we found a small hallway on the first floor. Sitting in the hallway were a number of casually-dressed Russian men and some Czech men wearing suits. Brian introduced us and we signed some forms and took our audition numbers.



As we sat down we found lyrics: the words we would have to say in the audition room. To my surprise, we were going to audition for a part in an advertising video for a famous fast food chain! We repeated them in our heads over and over again. Aloud, too. The atmosphere was a bit uncomfortable. Many strangers and the prospect of an auditioner waiting in the hall next to the corridor. I was nervous I would forget the words.



To my relief, Brian and I were called in together. I was on camera first, though. The auditioner was friendly but the camera not so much so. The simple task for me: a little introduction for their video and then say the line. With my previous tv experience amounting to a five-minute interview with friends on Bondi Beach on Christmas Day 2006, it was quite difficult to be natural on camera. I felt very self-conscious and I left not expecting a recall.

However, to my surprise, I was called back four days later (without Brian - too old!) for the second round the next day. This time I was in a familiar place, albeit a far from familiar situation. As I looked around there were professionals everywhere to be seen. Actors, models.... me! Hours passed and I sat and waited, the lyrics revolving around inside my head.

Finally I got called in with four others; three men and a woman. Although one of the guys seemed to have a lot in common with me, the others were another class. Our task this time: to act as if we were going to a football match and singing and chanting about a burger! Overacting and posing everywhere, I was well out of my element. Especially considering the casting couch and seven executives watching us on video and comparing notes, ten metres from our position. Needless to say, never got the call back for the ad itself. An interesting experience, despite missing the chance to make it count financially!

No comments:

Post a Comment