Wednesday 4 August 2010

Teaching in Oxford, Part Two

Last summer I spent a month in Oxford doing some English teaching for a summer school. This year I decided to repeat the experience.

Thirty-two days, all food provided. I knew not to expect much downtime after last year's experience. I ate breakfast the first two days before giving up in favour of musli bars which I bought in bulk and ate alone in my room, complemented with vitamin supplements.

The teaching itself, as last year, was surprisingly little, only around 12 hours a week, which meant that for the most part I was in charge of upwards of 50 kids (aged 13-17) walking them around London, Windsor, Bath, Warwick, Thorpe Park, in fact all the same places as last year.



There was some familiarity with my colleagues too, two of them (Kingsley and Donya) were with me last year, so it was good to start with a team already. The others were generally okay as well, and the team built as the time went on.

Anyway highlights, karaoke night with the Chinese crew doing "Poker Face", talent show with a great drum recital from two of the boys. Dinner at Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant with the Lebanese girls (yum yum). Seeing Eton College for the first time. Waffles with ice cream and chocolate sauce at G&Ds ice cream cafes, a couple of times. Ice skating (twice) and having some spectacular falls, especially the first time with Donya and blood on the ice!!!

On the flipside, the operation was understaffed and as well as working a six-day week, we were often working upwards of 16 hours a day. The meals (lunch and dinner) often left us all rushing to the bathrooms, I will definitely not miss them whatsoever.

So as I leave, for the second time, with some happy memories, I am quite sure I will not be going back next year. But I said that last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment